Tags3d design 3d modeling akn-include autocad autocad electrical AutoCAD tips Autodesk autodesk 2015 autodesk event Autodesk Inventor autodesk revit autodesk subscription autodesk training autodesk vault BIM BIM 360 BIM Building Information Modeling building design building information modeling civil 3d civil design Construction data management digital prototyping engineering design fusion 360 how to infrastructure design inventor inventor tips manufacturing manufacturing design new features PLM PLM 360 product design Revit simulation software Synergis University technology tips training Vault what's new
Most Popular Posts
Sorry. No data so far.
Ready to Take the Next Step?
July 25, 2013
Posted July 25, 2013 by Robert Reid, Synergis Manufacturing Solutions Engineer:
A Variable-Radius Fillet contains a radius that varies along the length of a specified edge. To create the fillet, a location along the specified edge is initially created as the start point, and then afterwards, a second point is specified as the endpoint. You can also add intermediate points, each of which can have a different radius. The transition type will determine the shape of Variable-Radius Fillet.
Let’s look at the following example. A plate is modeled 6” wide, 4” high, 3/4” thick.
On the Modify Panel, click Fillet.
Click on Variable:
Let’s walk through an example.
1. First, select the edge:
2. The Start Point is highlighted along the specified edge with a white arrowhead:
3. The End Point is the highlighted with a white arrowhead:
4. The Radius is also shown for both the start and end positions.
5. The position values that are shown represent a percentage of the line. 0.0 represents 0 (zero), 1.0 represents 100% of the line.
6. Here, I select 2 points along this edge:
7. Point 1 represents 23.40% of the line or 0.234 x 6″ = 1.404″
8. Point 2 represents 73.28% of the line or 0.7328 x 6″ = 4.3968″
9. To adjust the values, click on the Position value and change:
10. The Radius values can also be changed in the same matter, at the same time the Position value is being changed:
Clicking OK in the dialog box, we accept the changes that have been made:
A Variable-Radius Fillet has been created!
Have questions? Let us know! Call (800.836.5440) or email us for help!
See some of Bob’s previous posts:
- Pin Connections
- Limits/Fits Mechanical Calculator
- Press Fit Calculator
- Tolerance Calculator
- Key Connections
- “O” – Ring Generator
Robert Reid graduated from Middlesex College in New Jersey with a Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology. With over 25 years of Industrial Machine Design, including Wire Drawing Machinery, Plastic Processing Machinery, & Packaging Machinery, Robert has held various positions within the workforce, including, Manager of Engineering; Sheet Extrusion Dept, Manager of Engineering, Chief Design Engineer. He is currently an Autodesk Inventor Certified Expert.
Contact us, visit the Synergis website or subscribe to our blog.